[HECnet] Cisco Tunnel Project

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Thu Jan 31 10:28:37 PST 2013

On 31.1.2013 18:36, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On 1/31/2013 2:35 AM, Kari Uusim  ki wrote:
Do you have any idea if the mesh would create lots of traffic?
I mean that if there are 20 Area Routers exchanging hellos all the
time and route updates every now and then, how much bandwidth would
that need?
I think many participants have e.g. an ADSL connection with 1Mbit/s or
something like it. Would the continuous routing traffic cut a
significant slice of the bandwidth?

That's a really good question.   We should probably get some of the
experts to answer that. :)

That being said, there is nothing says we can't do both. If anyone
doesn't want to be a part of the mesh just let me know and we'll pick
two locations to be hubs.

Anyway, the mesh idea sounds good. I vote for it. I think it has
benefits like better availability in case of power outages or HW
failures and better distributed traffic between the various areas.

I really can't imagine it's going to be a big deal, so a mesh definitely
is a nice thing. Not being dependent on any one site is a good thing. :)

-brian

.

I have a fixed IP and therefore my connection is very static. Unfortunately, my connection is only 1Mbit/s outwards. I'll check if it would be possible to upgrade it.

Kari