[HECnet] Mail gateways?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Wed Jan 30 06:31:44 PST 2013

Tim Sneddon <tim at sneddon.id.au> writes:

but you might even be able to use: > > _MCP>
"<""{host}::{user}""@localhost>" > > ...but this might hork up replies.
For more elaborate schemes, MX is > capable of rewriting using *IX-style
regular expressions with /REGEX > on the 'DEFINE REWRITE_RULE' command.

Spot on.

;)

For the reverse (outgoing and replies), configure the DN_SMTP server
which is SMTP over DECnet. >

This is a part of MX that I don't know nearly as well as I should, but I
though you needed MX at both ends to make that work.   Which would rule
out RSTS and RSX hosts.

They could forward to a VMS host or implement their own SMTP transport.

I use MX% and 'TCP/IP Services' SMTP% transport.   If you define logicals
correctly, they can both coexist in harmony.   Both 'TCPIP Services' POP
and IMAP require that the MAIL$INTERNET_TRANSPORT logical be defined as
SMTP and that the MX_PROTOCOL_PREFIX logical be defined as SMTP%.

MX has alias translation, mailing list features and other delivery >
agents such as X25, UUCP and a SITE interface.   The latter allows a

X25 and UUCP have been dropped when MX became open source.   SITE is
definitely still there.   I've seend that used for lots of interesting
stuff.   I'm pretty sure it was Ruslan Laishev that developed an SMS
gateway for MX.

Well, in the age of ubiquitous internet, there's probably little need
for either X25 and UUCP agents.

You've yanked out the MX licensing now that it's open-source?

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG