[HECnet] Mail gateways?

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Wed Jan 30 06:22:30 PST 2013

On Wed, 30 Jan 2013 09:10:26 -0500
"Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes:

On 30 Jan 2013, at 14:55, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Sampsa Laine <sampsa at mac.com> writes: > > > Back when I worked in
one
of my Uncle Sam's DoD research labs, all email > was handled on the
VMS cluster and distributed to other mail servers and > clients in
the labs.
PMDF was the engine used there for this task.   If > you don't
anticipate HUGE volume of email, even MX could do this and MX > is
freeware.

So MX can do the subdomain -> decnet node name conversion?

Why not?   Use its rewrite rules.

Assume there is a HECnet.net domain and that all nodenames are used as
hostnames in a FQDN.   The mail handler node is called PMASTR or TCP/IP
hame of postmaster.HECnet.net.

MCP> DEFINE REWRITE_RULE "<{user}@{host}.HECnet.net>" -
_MCP> "<""{host}::{user}""@postmaster.HECnet.net>"

I need to check here but you might even be able to use:

_MCP> "<""{host}::{user}""@localhost>"

...but this might hork up replies.   For more elaborate schemes, MX is
capable of rewriting using *IX-style regular expressions with /REGEX
on the 'DEFINE REWRITE_RULE' command.

Spot on.

For the reverse (outgoing and replies), configure the DN_SMTP server
which is SMTP over DECnet.

This is a part of MX that I don't know nearly as well as I should, but
I though you needed MX at both ends to make that work.   Which would
rule out RSTS and RSX hosts.

MX has alias translation, mailing list features and other delivery
agents such as X25, UUCP and a SITE interface.   The latter allows a

X25 and UUCP have been dropped when MX became open source.   SITE is
definitely still there.   I've seend that used for lots of interesting
stuff.   I'm pretty sure it was Ruslan Laishev that developed an SMS
gateway for MX.

customizable interface to other applications running on its host.   I
once used it to interface to a trouble report (user support) system
and I use it today to provide customers with access to a temporary
licence (PAK) generator for software trials.

In addition, I know the MX developers quite well. ;)

Regards, Tim.