[HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Wed Jan 16 15:19:58 PST 2013

Is there coax in the place? If so look at MoCa devices. Works really well.

-brian

On Jan 16, 2013, at 17:12, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

Hello!

I'm going to be moving some of my equipment to the basement here for several reasons (heat produced, noise, space, et cetera), and in planning i'm hitting a roadblock: networking.

I've come up with several ideas:

Wireless client-bridge: Linksys e1000 is garbage and doesn't like to pass DECnet or any of those protocols, so i'd either need a workaround or a better router. (workaround being: a virtual cisco tunnel to my other virtual cisco?) (Other router: /real/ Cisco or a another suggestion from someone on this list)

Powerline ethernet: Is this reliable yet? How are the transfer speeds?

Or:   Adding a phone jack, getting DSL on the second line here. (installation costs, but would actually be $2 more/month to upgrade current plan + add a second identical plan not counting hardware rental fees, setup costs, and that stuff)

Running cables all the way from the second floor isn't viable.

Any (viable) options i'm missing?

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!