[HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Wed Jan 16 15:19:14 PST 2013

If you run cable inside the heating ducts, make sure it's plenum rated (FT6).

Ian

On 2013-01-16, at 3:16 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/16/2013 05:37 PM, Dennis Boone wrote:
Running cables all the way from the second floor isn't viable.

"Not viable to run cable" usually comes down to "too lazy".   Not
throwing stones: I've been lazy about cabling too.   But you might
consider bouncing the particulars off of the crowd to see if there are
any suggestions for overcoming the obstacles.   Wired really is the most
stable and reliable, for all the wireless hoopla these days.

Agreed.   Wireless == suck.   (and I design wireless comm gear for a
living!)   Run the wires.   You'll be glad you did.

One possibility might be running the cable through your heating ducts,
if your house has them.   Lots of people have done that with great success.

---
Filter service subscribers can train this email as spam or not-spam here:     http://my.email-as.net/spamham/cgi-bin/learn.pl?messageid=C76132B0603211E28694F46293ED0201