VMware, was Re: [HECnet] Sort of off-topic, co-locating area 8

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Jan 24 06:40:15 PST 2013

On 1/23/2013 9:09 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 01/23/2013 08:38 PM, Brian Hechinger wrote:

With the move to ESXi from "full blown" ESX VMware has been moving more
and more out of the ESXi host.
    Are they reducing the functionality that's available there?   I don't
*want* full-blown ESX.

You will never again have full blows ESX so you don't have to worry there. :)

It's been a while since I've ssh-ed into a 5.1 host, but I know it's getting to be slim pickings for CLI stuff on the hypervisor itself.

The vMA has *all* the tools that you are used to using. You also only ever have one place to log into as well if you have more than one host.

Another nice feature of the vMA is you can auth against vCenter to do things on your ESXi hosts so your admins can do everything they need without actually giving them the root password of the ESXi box.

However, you can download the API tools (perl or PowerShell versions
available) or install the VMA (Virtual Management Appliance, just a
linux box with the tools already installed) you can do everything you
need to do from the CLI of your favorite OS.
    Got a link for that?   And will it work with 4.1?

vMA:
https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/details?productId=229&downloadGroup=VMA50

It should work with 4.1 as the API is backwards compatible. Newer vCenter can manager older ESXi, for example.

If you can use vCenter, the web based GUI in 5.1 is FANTASTIC and only
required flash. Works fine in Chrome.

If you need keys for 5 I might *cough* know *cough* where *cough* to get
some. *cough cough*. :)
    Hmm!   Please to be sending!   Can I do an in-place upgrade from 4.1 to 5?

Yes. I'll send you an offline email.

-brian