[HECnet] Sort of off-topic, co-locating area 8

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jan 23 16:08:28 PST 2013

On 01/23/2013 06:53 PM, Brett Bump wrote:
If anyone can, YOU can...heck, you were the guy who introduced me to
RSTS, what, 27 or 28 years ago?

That must be a math problem, and those are now in dynamic memory.   I think
I must have gotten rebooted, as I can't count back that far (86 maybe?).

  I was a sophomore in high school so that would've been 1985.   Do you
remember my old PDP-11/34a?

Well it seems VMS can indeed run on those.   You wanna take the plunge?

Yes, I really should.   I've been telling people for years I've had this
project of jumping on hecnet and it always gets put on the back burner.
Would be nice to put those 3300s to work, but I still think I'll have to
put something else at the gigapop (I don't think they will allow 3300s).

  Why wouldn't they?

I see the copy of OpenVMS I have is Alpha V8.3 (which I got years ago).
I'll have to check with Montagar and check on my hobbyist license.   If I
can get that far I may just set it all up connected to a terminal server
and let Dave install it all. ;-) lol

  I'd be happy to!   And see your private email.