[HECnet] Sort of off-topic, co-locating area 8

Brett Bump bbump at rsts.org
Wed Jan 23 15:53:02 PST 2013

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 01/23/2013 06:49 AM, Brett Bump wrote:
I'm not too fond of windows past NT 4 for anything other than an
occasional game. ;)   I'd call it more masochism to be honest.   I DID
recently install it on a Pentium 4 though. ;) (Did you know it won't
boot on a P4 HT?)

I didn't.   And from what they tell me, that knowledge is now IN my
brain, and I cannot get those neurons back.

I think Dave has a few extra neurons to spare.   And if he can't get
these back they must be core instead of dynamic.   I think I'll see if we
can get him to exhibit a RSTS "?Program lost, sorry" message.

If anyone can, YOU can...heck, you were the guy who introduced me to
RSTS, what, 27 or 28 years ago?

That must be a math problem, and those are now in dynamic memory.   I think
I must have gotten rebooted, as I can't count back that far (86 maybe?).

I still have 2 DECServer 3300's (Alpha's) that I installed NT4 TSE on
some time back before the turn of the century.   Dastardly slow, but the
only platform I had at the time at home to practice on to get Citrix
certified.

They really ran FreeBSD nice though, and since I had loaded 4 drives in
each one, I think I also had copies of NetBSD and Linux (loaded via Milo).
I wish they had been able to run VMS, alas they were the white elephants.
They wouldn't run FreeBSD V4, until we stole a patch from the NetBSD boys.

Well it seems VMS can indeed run on those.   You wanna take the plunge?

                      -Dave

Yes, I really should.   I've been telling people for years I've had this
project of jumping on hecnet and it always gets put on the back burner.
Would be nice to put those 3300s to work, but I still think I'll have to
put something else at the gigapop (I don't think they will allow 3300s).

I see the copy of OpenVMS I have is Alpha V8.3 (which I got years ago).
I'll have to check with Montagar and check on my hobbyist license.   If I
can get that far I may just set it all up connected to a terminal server
and let Dave install it all. ;-) lol

Brett