Sync serial bridging over Ethernet, was Re: [HECnet] Multi-floor household (DECnet) routing help needed

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jan 21 12:42:27 PST 2013

On 01/21/2013 03:29 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
  You have a working binary for PuTTY on OS X?   I'm forced to use
Windows for work and I use PuTTY every day there. I'd love to have a
copy for my home Macs.   Where is it available?

  I heard recently that PuTTY had been ported to OS X.   There seems to
be no point at all to this.

  Open a Terminal, type "ssh <hostname>"...what's so tough about that?
It works fine.

Terminal.app doesn't provide a shiny GUI to connect to physical
serial ports. ;)

    Well I guess if people "need" that sort of thing...but then, I
respectfully submit that those are the types of people who aren't afraid
of the keyboard.

Just as you use ssh (or telnet) to connect to other systems, I
respectfully point out that something like kermit is what you want if
you want to connect to a serial port.

  Yes, that's what I usually use.   Works great.

(yes, I know GNU screen can do it too.   I agree it seems fairly
pointless.)

    Yes.   And if memory serves, screen ships with OS X by default.

screen is (sometimes) useful, but for a totally different reason.

  Yes, that, but it can also connect to serial ports, which seems
strange to me.   Feature creep, I guess.