[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jan 17 10:06:18 PST 2013

On 01/17/2013 01:04 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Well I'm not running that anywhere, so I can't help you
with that, I'm sorry.   My one Itanium2-based system will
not (or so I'm told) run VMS.

What does your Itanium2 run, then?

Not a damn thing. ;)   It hasn't been powered on in about two
years.   I installed Linux on it, but it was slower than pissing
tar.

That sounds like Linux. ;)

Linux doesn't do that anywhere else.   (well, it used to on Alphas,
where it spent most of the CPU cycles in the alignment trap
handler..)

Hmmm. Something better than Linux should run on an Alpha or an
Itanium anyway. Why waste all that potential loading copies of the
GPL in to RAM? ;)

  Well.   I have no issue with Linux (I used to, but not anymore), but I
just have nothing else to run on this machine.   Which is pretty much why
it has sat powered off for two years.

And this is a quad Itanium2 with like 6GB of RAM at some
ungodly high clock speed! I patted my UltraSPARCs (which run at
HALF that clock rate) affectionately on that day.

There's a reason I'm interested in SPARC gear. ;)

There's a reason I RUN SPARC gear. ;)

Speaking of SPARC, I wonder if fork() is still slow of
FreeBSD/SPARC.

  Everything is still slow in FreeBSD/SPARC.   I cannot fathom why anyone
would want to run such a PC-centric OS on SPARC.   NetBSD is far better
suited there.   If you've got a PC, definitely go FreeBSD.