[HECnet] SIMH for VMS on VAX

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Jan 17 10:04:08 PST 2013

On 17 Jan 2013, at 12:59, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 01/17/2013 12:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Well I'm not running that anywhere, so I can't help you with that, I'm
sorry.   My one Itanium2-based system will not (or so I'm told) run VMS.

What does your Itanium2 run, then?

Not a damn thing. ;)   It hasn't been powered on in about two years.   I
installed Linux on it, but it was slower than pissing tar.

That sounds like Linux. ;)

Linux doesn't do that anywhere else.   (well, it used to on Alphas,
where it spent most of the CPU cycles in the alignment trap handler..)

Hmmm. Something better than Linux should run on an Alpha or an Itanium anyway. Why waste all that potential loading copies of the GPL in to RAM? ;)

And this is
a quad Itanium2 with like 6GB of RAM at some ungodly high clock speed!
I patted my UltraSPARCs (which run at HALF that clock rate)
affectionately on that day.

There's a reason I'm interested in SPARC gear. ;)

There's a reason I RUN SPARC gear. ;)

Speaking of SPARC, I wonder if fork() is still slow of FreeBSD/SPARC.