[HECnet] Benchmarks - WHETSTONE.C

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Tue Jan 15 09:25:52 PST 2013

On Mon, 14 Jan 2013 21:17:28 -0500
Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

If there's a PDP-11 PL/I compiler, join me in benchmarking using some
PL/I examples I found on kednos.com ;)

Glad to see someone is having some joy with them.   I wrote/modified
those to do performance testing of the PL/I support that I added to
the AEST binary translator.   The Fibonacci one was my favourite.   It
thoroughly worked out a branch look up cache I implemented.

Sadly, those figures only really indicated that you were better off
running your code on a VAX or Alpha if you didn't have the original
source.   Gives more of an indication that it might be time to move
to a new platform :-(

Regards, Tim.