[HECnet] Benchmarks - WHETSTONE.C

Tim Sneddon tim at sneddon.id.au
Tue Jan 15 09:17:39 PST 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:57:45 -0500
Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:50 AM, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se>
wrote:

The PDP-11 C compiler is a much later product than any of the stuff
you talk about here. It's something DEC did in the 90s.

Fair enough - long after   I was paying much attention. Do you know if
it was part of GEM?     The GEM suite allowed N front ends, and Y
back-ends.

GEM never generated code for the PDP-11.   It did do IA-32, IA-64, Alpha,
MIPS.   I supports a range of operating systems including Windows,
OpenVMS, Tru64, Linux and NonStop (although that never made it to
production).

To get an idea, check out my BLISS family-tree at:

      http://tim.sneddon.id.au/blog/Posts/A_BLISS-ful_family_tree

As for PL/1 on 16 bit machines - it was done, particularly with subset
compilers.     Again, I lost interest in it in the early 1980s.   PL/C
was Cornell's version and a number of things like Intel's PL/M for
the 8080 appeared, Stanfords PL/360 etc, all show it possible,

PL/M was more of a language of it's own, based on PL/I.   The others
I can't really speak for.

Regards, Tim.