[HECnet] Ugh

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Tue Jan 15 09:52:20 PST 2013

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:40:37 -0500, you wrote:

$ SHO LOG VIM
%SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name VIM

$ SHO LOG TMP
%SHOW-S-NOTRAN, no translation for logical name TMP

$ SHO SYM VIM
%DCL-W-UNDSYM, undefined symbol - check validity and spelling
$ sho sym/glo vim
%DCL-W-UNDSYM, undefined symbol - check validity and spelling

Obviously things aren't getting setup correctly. I wonder if I put it
all in the correct spots.

Please, don't take this as an offense (I'm not English native, so I do not
know how this would "sound" in English), but... After editing SYLOGICALS and
SYLOGIN have you rebooted the system or have you executed those definition
commands by typing them at a command prompt?

If you just put the definitions in the files, but haven't done anything more,
they were never considered: SYLOGICALS is read during startup and SYLOGIN
during process login.

You can define manually both logicals and symbols at the command line prompt
instead of rebooting the whole thing. But they have to be in the SY* files
too, or after the next reboot you'll have to do the manual typing again.

G.