[HECnet] HECnet performance....

Wed Jan 9 11:59:26 PST 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:57 PM, Peter Lothberg wrote:

True.   DECnet is a private network technology, so the assumption is that it=
can rely on correct management of the routers.   And MTU size is one of the=
things assumed to be done right.   DEC's network for a long time used 576 a=
s its MTU; I would assume even a 2020 can be set that way, how else could s=
uch a node have existed on the DEC Easynet?
	paul

2020 can only do three hundred something, my memory fails on the exact
number. Maybe it ended up being 376.

It's not a problem as long as it's END NODE, decnet will negotiate the
smaller numer. The doc said that it only suports ONE serial
interface....

--P

That makes sense, indeed for an end node the small MTU is no issue (other than the performance impact).   That may be how the 2020 people got away with that implementation.

	paul