[HECnet] _PROVISIONAL_ map of HECnet, courtesy largely of Brian H.

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Mon Jan 7 19:45:25 PST 2013

On 7 Jan 2013, at 22:29, Ian McLaughlin <ian at platinum.net> wrote:

On 2013-01-07, at 7:16 PM, Brian Hechinger <wonko at 4amlunch.net> wrote:

On 1/7/2013 10:09 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Now that it's ambiguous, all of you.;)   I like hearing how people have configured their networks and wired them in with all their stuff.

My network is very scary, but here's the path from the outside world to my DEC machines:

Mine is a bit less scary, but it's still crazy. ;)

Cable modem -> Astaro firewall -> Apple Airport -> Apple Airport Express -> Cisco 7206VXR -> 10Mbps ethernet switch with 10base2 connector -> DECrepeater90C -> many VAXen ;)

DSL (yes, DSL) modem -> HT P4 running pfSense (considering moving this to a VM where all my other stuff runs, would give me more runtime on the UPS   but would create a single point of failure) -> gigE switch for core stuff and personal systems -> 50ft ethernet cable running across a few rooms to a 100mbit switch where my DEC systems will live.

My HECnet routing involves a layer 2 OpenVPN and a simh instance on my VPS...

The two Airport devices give me a wireless bridge in to my garage, where the VAXen live.

Ian