[HECnet] Re: VMS sources

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Tue Jan 8 12:55:57 PST 2013

John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com> writes:

From: <Paul_Koning at Dell.com>

Can't search microfiche, and a fiche reader is a clumsy and hard to use
contraption.

I always figured that was the whole point.   You had to do a *lot* of
squinting and typing before you could do anything that DEC didn't want
you to.

How do you figure.   Fiche was the media of its day and listings were
for reference; not intended to you to rebuild VMS.   When CD-rom first
appeared on the scene, DEC put the listings on CD-rom.   You could run
utilities like UNLIS (I believe my good buddy Hunter wrote that) which
could give you sanitized source but I wouldn't try to use it do to the
Copyright.   The "listing" portion is far more valuable than the source
itself.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG