[HECnet] DU11 vs. DUV11

Sun Jan 6 12:22:42 PST 2013

On Jan 6, 2013, at 2:50 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:

I'm even more curious what a PDT-11 optimization is doing in an RSX
driver...was there at one time an RSX product product planned for the
PDT family?

I'm not at all surprised to learn that RSX ran on the PDT-11.
RSX can run on pretty much any PDP-11, as long as you have atleast around 50K of ram. That's about the lower limit, I'd guess. No other hardware frills or features required

RT requires far less.   In college, I ported RT to run on the physics department 11/20, which had 8 kW of memory.   It required a port because for a disk it had an RC11, which RT did not support.   Fortunately, one of the RT authors had come to work at our college, and he helped me a lot.   I asked him "why no RC11 support".   Answer: "there weren't any around DEC to test it on".

Originally that machine ran DOS-11 V4, ugh.   RT was a much better OS.   We ran RT Basic on it, with mods I made to support all the lab equipment (DR11-A, AD-01, AD-11, KW11-P).   Interrupt handlers written in Basic, fun...

BTW, does anyone know why SIMH doesn't support booting from RC11?

	paul