[HECnet] Copying RL02 image under RSX

Bob Armstrong bob at jfcl.com
Thu Jul 11 23:51:26 PDT 2013

   I have an RL02 pack and a RSX system and I want to 1) copy a sector by sector image of the RL02 to a 20480 block file and then b) mount a new pack, BAD it, and then copy the same image back to the new pack.   On VMS I   d just use COPY /DEVICE or maybe BACKUP /PHYSICAL, but I   m having a tough time figuring out the RSX equivalent.

   I thought PIP would do it, (   PIP FOO.IMG=DL0:   ) but that fails if the disk isn   t mounted or if it   s mounted as /FOREIGN.       I don   t think BRU or DSC understand non-ODS volumes, and I don   t know any other utilities that copy files.

   FWIW, the pack is from an ancient Unix and is not in Files11, RT11, or any other format that RSX knows about.

   Otherwise my only choice will be to fire up the 730 so I can get an RL02 attached to a real operating system J

Thanks,
Bob