[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 12 20:26:41 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 02:59 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On the contrary.   The design of X is very clean.   (yes, I've been "all
up in there".)   There are some things about its innards that I do not
like, but overall, it's extremely well-done.

Ohhh.   We're talking protocol design and that stuff.   Yes, THAT is
clean. I've just had experience with very bad implementations I guess.
Like the one I'm currently running that likes to use 100% CPU doing
nothing for no reason.   This wouldn't happen on a properly-implemented
workstation I would admit.   However on a PeeCee where politics is more
important than doing things well...issues arise.

  Well XFree86 (which is what I assume you're talking about), while
amazing in some ways, is a real piece of crap in others.

I'm still a fan of NeWS myself. ;)

  It was a neat idea.

The fact that we're still using it three decades later on completely,
totally different hardware, in completely different ways, tells a lot.

That does say a lot.   I'd still argue that the implementations still
need work though.

  I will not disagree with that.

Some parts of how we're using it now, though (like client-side font
rendering) are extremely kludgy.   But that's not the fault of X.

I'd agree.   I didn't know we were discussing the protocol. ;)

  Well you said "X", which is a protocol, not a piece of software.