[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 12 19:50:54 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 02:44 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Unfortunately X on modern OSes is a little more of a kludge. ;)

  On the contrary.   The design of X is very clean.   (yes, I've been "all
up in there".)   There are some things about its innards that I do not
like, but overall, it's extremely well-done.

  The fact that we're still using it three decades later on completely,
totally different hardware, in completely different ways, tells a lot.

  Some parts of how we're using it now, though (like client-side font
rendering) are extremely kludgy.   But that's not the fault of X.

I suppose if you tweak it enough and force it to bend over to serve you
it can be quite nice...but It's not my friend.   Much like many other
UNIX/Linux apps...X DOES choose its friends very carefully. ;)

  I cannot agree.   It has always been a snap for me.

  But then (until the past year or so) I've always run it on real
workstations, not PC garbage.   (who the hell ever heard of multiple
resolutions and sync rates?!   WTF?!!)

(It's one of the few UNIX-HATERS chapters I completely agree with...I
just think X has wasted potential and could've been better implemented.)

  The UNIX-HATERS crowd needs to find a better hobby.