[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Jun 12 19:41:28 PDT 2013

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 06/12/2013 02:30 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 06/12/2013 01:53 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I would like to play with Ultrix too. I tried to install it some time
ago and didn't succeed (no docs, a probably corrupted media image...).
Are there viable media available somewhere? Docs?

I have tape images for Ultrix/VAX v4.0.   I have a physical CD for it
as well, but possibly a later release, as well as one for MIPS, but
I've
not yet imaged them.   I don't recall their release numbers because I
haven't seen them in probably fifteen years, but I know what box
they're
in.   I will try to dig them up soon.

Docs...It's BSD UNIX, man!

Yet the package management is partially SysV. ;)

Package management?!

By package management I mean: "using setld to install packages from tape".

Oh wow, good old setld.   Yes, I do remember that.   It's so primitive
that I didn't even think of it as "package management" in today's terms.

I don't blame you. ;)

Wait a minute.   Was setld present in any SysV implementations?

It was present in the x86 build of SVR4 iirc.   I'd need to consult my disk image (http://gewt.net/sysv.img).

(Seriously, I ran Ultrix on my desktop for years, didn't even know it
HAD package management...I built everything from source.)

Like a real UNIX user! :)

Well yes. ;)   Thank you. ;)

Welcome! ;)

Cory Smelosky