[HECnet] Anyone got TOPS-20 / Ultrix with DECNET SIMH image ready to run?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 12 19:40:46 PDT 2013

On 06/12/2013 02:33 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
ago. And that demo surfaced some time later. The big complaint
was that when too many windows were open the system started
dragging its feet.

I blame X for that. ;)   I still have that happen...on modern
intel crap.

X never did that on far, far slower hardware.

X was pretty good even on very slow hardware, though the first
VAXstation with its one bit per pixel dumb bitmap display was iffy.

  The VCB01.   That was my first VAX framebuffer.

  I'd agree with "iffy" until you compare it with its
contemporaries...i.e., CGA on a PeeCee.

But it was far better than its predecessor (VAXwindows?   I forgot
what it was called -- a VMS-specific windowing system developed at
DEC, and dumped after a year in favor of X.

  DECwindows.   I loved it, but then I loved X more. =)   (and still do!)