[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Jun 6 21:05:26 PDT 2013

Michael Holmes <mholmes10 at hotmail.com> writes:

On Jun 6, 2013, at 8:19 AM, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.C=
OM> wrote:

Michael Holmes <mholmes10 at hotmail.com> writes:
=20
Damn!
=20
I work in federal govt and we have numerous (3 digits) VMS hosts world-wi=
de t=3D
hat never gave us any trouble (especially compared to windoze).=3D20
=20
Really?   According to HP's Lorraine Bartlett VP BCS Marketing & Strategy w=
ho
gave a keynote at the recent OpenVMS Bootcamp in mid-March, there were les=
than 200 VMS customers and none were in Gov't.   I, and those in attendance=
,
knew better.   That figure must represent the largest VMS Itanium customers=

and HP only case about LARGE sales.   I know of at least 100 sites with VMS=

Itanium boxes in the US and I am sure there are more world-wide.   Itanium,=

not the first generation anyway, did not win the hearts of VMS afficionado=
happily running it on Alpha.   IMO, it was not until recent blade comfigura=
-
tions that people started to move.   Some are happy with their Alpha instal=
-
lations and were waiting for VMS in i4.   So, HP created a self-fulfilling
prophecy.
=20
=20
That is BS.

Of course, and that's what I said.

I worked in DoD Military Health System and we had at least 101 h=
ost sites which we had to upgrade the big sites to Itanium (C7000 & blades) a=
s the alphas were end of life and we recycled some of the alphas as spares f=
or the smaller sites until they could be moved over to the smaller C3000 bla=
des setup.=20

When I left we were looking at potentially moving the application to run und=
er windows server, but it couldn't do clustering like VMS could.=20

Who can?

HP is missing a huge market in healthcare as the 3 major commercial electron=
ic health record systems all are run under MUMPS which runs great on VMS.=20=

Yup.

Sadly HP never really listened to DoD security concerns and didn't upgrade V=
MS to address the items (like native PKI support) we had to move away from V=
MS since the vendor had no plans to fix.=20

Although PKI isn't particularly an OS issue.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG