[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 01:45:25 PDT 2013

On 06/05/2013 08:44 PM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
    This just came in from a friend of mine:

    "Ric Lewis at HP sent out a letter basically saying VMS is dead.
Support up through 2020, but 2016 is the last sale of VMS-
supported hardware."

    Now, of course, "will only be sold for 2.5 more years and will only
be supported for 6.5" doesn't exactly say "dead" to me; it says "WILL
EVENTUALLY BE dead", but still, this does kinda suck.   But it's awesome
that it lasted this long.   From 1978 until 2020 is a great run in this
industry.   And I'll be running it, God willing, well after that. (if I'm
still breathing!)

    I do hope those who have sources (or at least, source listings) will
be able to preserve them.     (hint hint)

Nudge nudge.   Wink wink.   Say no more.

  The world of real computers thanks you.

HP:   Hopelessly Pathetic.

  Exactly.   How the mighty have fallen.   Bill and Dave are rolling in their graves.