[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Thu Jun 6 01:44:15 PDT 2013

Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> writes:

  This just came in from a friend of mine:

  "Ric Lewis at HP sent out a letter basically saying VMS is dead.
Support up through 2020, but 2016 is the last sale of VMS-
supported hardware."

  Now, of course, "will only be sold for 2.5 more years and will only
be supported for 6.5" doesn't exactly say "dead" to me; it says "WILL
EVENTUALLY BE dead", but still, this does kinda suck.   But it's awesome
that it lasted this long.   From 1978 until 2020 is a great run in this
industry.   And I'll be running it, God willing, well after that. (if I'm
still breathing!)

  I do hope those who have sources (or at least, source listings) will
be able to preserve them.     (hint hint)

Nudge nudge.   Wink wink.   Say no more.

HP:   Hopelessly Pathetic.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG