[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 17:40:07 PDT 2013

On 06/06/2013 12:33 PM, lee.gleason at comcast.net wrote:
I still use a handheld digital multimeter (Fluke 77) that I got 22 years
ago.   It still works great, holds its calibration, and does its job well.
But if I were a proper American, I should've thrown it in the trash 15-17
years ago and purchased a new one, for no valid reason.

  The two tools I use the most for electronics are a Tektronix 465 and a
Fluke 8022. Both made around 1975, both heavily used and have many many hours
on 'em,   and both still   work perfectly. I expect them to keep doing so for
quite a while longer.   Back in the day, if you were wiling to   pay extra for
quality, you really got it, not like today.

  Absolutely.   I strongly prefer top-end, older test equipment to newer
low-end stuff, and the prices are about the same.   My lab is a sea of HP and
Tektronix logos.

  For a current oscilloscope, you end up getting garbage unless you spend
$50K or more.   (the HP scope I was just looking at is $300K, no typo
there...and that's what it takes to outperform the 20-year-old 54120B that I
have on the way for about $1K!)

  BTW, I have a "parts unit" 465 here, it's really beat up.   Its yours if you
want it, for spares for your working 465.