[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 16:13:43 PDT 2013

On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 06/06/2013 08:19 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Damn!

I work in federal govt and we have numerous (3 digits) VMS hosts world-wide t=
hat never gave us any trouble (especially compared to windoze).=20

Really?   According to HP's Lorraine Bartlett VP BCS Marketing & Strategy who
gave a keynote at the recent OpenVMS Bootcamp in mid-March, there were less
than 200 VMS customers and none were in Gov't.

  So is she clueless, or is she a liar?   Resellers were still offering big
bucks for VAX-7800 CPU modules as recently as ~2 years ago, specifically for
the Pentagon.   And those are VAXen, for chrissakes!

I, and those in attendance, knew better.

  Yep.

Hello!
Improperly briefed.
According to those unnamed sources we all know of, the same government
offices who're using forty year old software to fly our planes,
(civilian) are still using PDP-11 based systems for those specialty
functions that were never brought to the VAX. Hardware as well as
software.

And it gets stranger, there are still some agencies who are using
S-100 based systems for those applications which actually could never
be placed on a PC or server, or otherwise.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com