[HECnet] discontinuance of VMS

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Jun 6 15:57:32 PDT 2013

On 06/06/2013 08:19 AM, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Damn!

I work in federal govt and we have numerous (3 digits) VMS hosts world-wide t=
hat never gave us any trouble (especially compared to windoze).=20

Really?   According to HP's Lorraine Bartlett VP BCS Marketing & Strategy who
gave a keynote at the recent OpenVMS Bootcamp in mid-March, there were less
than 200 VMS customers and none were in Gov't.

  So is she clueless, or is she a liar?   Resellers were still offering big
bucks for VAX-7800 CPU modules as recently as ~2 years ago, specifically for
the Pentagon.   And those are VAXen, for chrissakes!

I, and those in attendance, knew better.

  Yep.