[HECnet] Vt100 tester

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Wed Mar 6 11:24:46 PST 2013

On 6 Mar 2013, at 14:15, Brett Bump <bbump at rsts.org> wrote:

On Wed, 6 Mar 2013, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On 6 Mar 2013, at 14:03, Brett Bump <bbump at rsts.org> wrote:

Um?

Linux kernels like changing often is more my point. ;)

That and an inability to live-patch the kernel safely.

Well, I guess I would have to agree with Dave on that point.   What is the
point of replacing it if it does exactly what you want?   The FreeBSD boxen
that we were running was V4.10.   No, it would not do 64bit, no, it was not
the latest and greatest.   But the systems were fully tested long before
they were put into operation, and we had a specific goal in mind.   These
were the production boxen so they were not used for new ideas.   The new
machines that we put in are expected to live as they are for about 5 years
(give or take a year for some measure of budget).

FreeBSD 4.10 was a good release.   It was far more stable tan 5.x.   It was used long past its use-by date. ;)

Brett