[HECnet] CSV Proposal

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Sun May 19 18:30:51 PDT 2013

On Sun, May 19, 2013 at 05:45:51PM +0100, Robert Jarratt wrote:

I didn't want to start a big debate about this, it was just a little joke. I
would be more than happy to use the pipe symbol as the separator.

Eh, you didn't start anything. That's just me being my usual self. :)

It wouldn't be a big effort for me on the platforms I write for today. It
would be harder for me on platforms I programmed a long time ago (or even
never in the case of RSX) and never having programmed for Datatrieve, but
that is precisely why I would like to do it, although I am not at all sure
about the RSX hurdle.

It's a pretty simple thing to write, over all. Associative arrays make
it a ton easier, but it's not that hard even when you don't have those.

Is there a language on VAX that would make it easier to port it to RSX? Or
can Datatrieve be accessed over   DECnet so the scraper code runs on VAX and
populates Datatrieve on RSX?

I believe there is a Datatrieve client for VAX but I seem to remember
something about it not working correctly? I'm not sure though.

-brian>