[HECnet] Another sillyness. More information in the nodename database on MIM.

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat May 18 17:35:52 PDT 2013

On 05/18/2013 12:04 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Is there a way we can get write access to the db? That way we can keep our
own info up to date.

I was thinking about it. Pros and cons. Easier for updating. Potentially
anyone erasing the whole thing. The granularity of permissions is by the
whole table.

It would perhaps be possible to do something that everyone had their own
table, and then I'd just pull data from all of them for various tasks. But
then I'd have potential name collision issues and what not...

Actually, thinking a bit more, I could probably do some web interface with
people having their own passwords and the ability to update just their data
that way. Needs some thinking perhaps, but maybe the most doable.

Anyone else have some ideas on how to do it?

  I like the idea of giving us all write access.   Maybe you can set up
regular dumps of the database for restoration in case someone screws up.

  It would give some of us a chance to learn Datatrieve in a real-world
scenario.   I myself have never worked with it and would like to learn it; I
learn best by doing.