[HECnet] Re: TOPS-10 and DECnet Progress Update

G. gerry77 at mail.com
Wed May 15 21:38:35 PDT 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013 09:13:28 -0000, you wrote:

I have managed to get a working install of TOPS-10 7.04/7.05 in KLH-10
with DECnet and LAT!   I have tested it from my VT420.

Well done! :)

You can test it too!   SET HOST to MARLEY and LOGIN as 1,2 (no password
yet...need to tweak that a bit).   Let me know how it works for you!

Note that SET HOST to TOPS-10 is quite sluggish because the CTERM protocol
behind it is very VMS centric, so does not adapt very well to the TOPS-10
terminal output primitives. The best thing to do is to use the follwing for
every connection to non VMS hosts:

$ SET HOST /APP=R nodename

This forces VMS to use the older RTERM protocol instead of CTERM, and you'll
see a very noticeable improvement in response times. Even better than LAT.

Unfortunately, RTERM on OpenVMS Alpha V8.3 (and above?) is broken and throws
an ACCVIO fatal error even before trying a connection. :(

I still have a long way to go, and I have NO IDEA if I can replicate this
install ever again...I have saved a complete (857,360 line!) copy of
the terminal output for future reference though!

There is a section in SIG.MEM that explains very clearly and easily how to
create a complete system backup on tape.

Next comes either: getting this working in SIMH, or getting it working on
a real KS10/KL10 (I can likely convert this setup to a KS10, too.   I'd
just need to consult the DECnet-10 manuals).   Now if only I had a
KS10...;))

The problem with Simh is that it emulates a KS10 CPU without Ethernet... :P

HTH,
G.

P.S. To setup passwords or add users just RUN REACT.