[HECnet] Console terminal switch and/or reverse terminal server suggestion?

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Tue May 14 16:47:25 PDT 2013

Yes, like that. They are a 3u unit with 30 ports. There's a rarer version called the Portmaster 2 (without the E) that has 10 ports and is only 1u high. Exactly the same circuit board just a smaller case.

Not sure what you mean by connect from one port to another?   You can come in with a terminal on one port (I use a vt320) and bring up a login port. You log in to the terminal server. At this point you can attach to any other port. You can also telnet in via Ethernet.

I've never tried it but I'm sure you can connect via a serial port on one of your machines (just as if it was a terminal) and log in to get you the prompt to connect to another port.

Ian

Sent from my iPhone

On 2013-05-14, at 8:23 AM, "Bob Armstrong" <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:

>I use Livingston Portmasters (like the 2e).

   Do you mean like this

                             http://www.ebay.com/itm/Livingston-Portmaster-2E-PM2E-24-port-Communications-Server-CSS-/221222806719?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3381e824bf

   It   s a big guy, isn   t it ??   Can it connect directly from one port to another?

Bob
---

Filter service subscribers can train this email as spam or not-spam here