[HECnet] Italian DECnet...

Robert Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Wed May 8 18:58:55 PDT 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of G.
Sent: 08 May 2013 00:58
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Italian DECnet...

On Sat, 04 May 2013 17:56:51 +0200, you wrote:

To make a short follow up on this. I have not heard anything from our
Italian friends, and I think one big reason why this have never
happened is that there never seem to have been a big interest in it.

Sorry guys for my long silence on this topic.

As far as I know, I'm the only one of the Italian DECnet reading and
writing
here, and I'm just a spokesman (sort of). Lately, the whole Italian DECnet
is
really just a couple of nodes and is seldom used. This is due to some
people
moving from one location to another (even another country) and other
people loosing interest about it or having to devote their spare time to
other
tasks.
In the past year, for about six months someone of us had some Cisco gear
as
a DECnet router, but it's since long gone and not expected to come back.

Moreover (don't forget the spokesman thing), someone else once said he
prefers not joining our network to another because ours is an experimental
one and he wants to feel free to fiddle with nodes and addresses, and even
switch online unknown nodes, without fear of address clashes and such.
Again, another one with limited bandwidth said that all those "hello"
packets
coming in every 15 seconds from as many nodes as HECnet has would be too
much for him (as a matter of fact, we have raised networkwide our "hello
timer" to 90 seconds).

I have a solution for this one with the user mode DECnet router I wrote. :-)
If Italy used it and someone on HECnet you peered with used it, then all the
hellos from the rest of HECnet could disappear. If there was not too much
traffic between Italy and the rest of HECnet I would be happy to be the
peer, just remember it is my domestic broadband that would be being used.

Regards

Rob

The conclusion is that there is no common view about joining our DECnet
(or
what remains of it) to HECnet, and every time I've submitted the question
the other members there was always someone withdrawing or pushing
against it.

A basic difference between other people joining HECnet and us, is that (as
far as I can understand) usually others are mostly individuals who then
have
not to cope with different requirements and opinions, instead we are a
group made up of very different people, scattered all over Italy, from
North
to South.

All in all, I just became uncle and I have something else to think about!
:) For
what is worth, I'm personally very grateful to all who think about us and
I'll
continue to read and write here every time I can!

Bye, :)
G. (Bologna - Italy)