[HECnet] How to VMR S/A BRUSYS???

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue May 7 18:09:55 PDT 2013

On 2013-05-07 18:54, Bob Armstrong wrote:
      UFD DL0:[6,54]
      PIP DL0:[6,54]/CO=DU0:[6,54]*.*

Right. And then you do BOO DL:[6,54]BRUSYS, which should be just fine.

    I just booted it up and tried it to get the real message.   Here's what I'm
doing -

Thanks. Now we're getting somewhere. :-)

    Hardware boot DL0.   This boots the "real" RSX; when it gets to the MCR
prompt, I say "BOO [6,54]BRUSYS".

    BRUSYS boots normally, and asks the "first device/second device" stuff.
FWIW, I say "DL0" and "MS0".

That is probably a bad idea. The first device is where the distribution is. The second is the target where you want to install the stuff.

    Hit enter and get the ">" prompt.

    At this point, I enter "TIM 09:45 7-may-85" and it says

	TIM -- 2

Syntax error. The MCR in BRUSYS is more than a little stupid.
You need to figure out in which form the time needs to be written for TIM to accept it. Probably something like "TIM 09:45 5/7/85".

Not "error 2" (sorry, I misremembered that part); just "2" ...

Yeah. MCR in BRUSYS is so limited it only gives these kind of error messages.

    Typing BRU, BAD or INI all produce

	MCR -- 1

Probably because BRU, BAD and INI are not known commands in MCR. You need to type "RUN BRU" and so on.

Curiously, entering just "TIM" with no argument actually works (although it
produces a bogus date/time).

:-)

    I've never seen messages like this either; I'm hoping they mean something
to somebody.

I hope the above helps...