[HECnet] DDCMP over asynchronous emulated lines on simh 4.0

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 04:29:47 PDT 2013

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM, John Wilson <wilson at dbit.com> wrote:
From: Clem Cole <clemc at ccc.com>

This line had me chuckling.   DZ were notorious for being lousy at
supporting modems because they lacked all a number of the needed RS-232
modem control lines.

Yeah -- I remember being dismayed that it didn't even have enough to power
a serial mouse.   That would have been stupid fun (as it already was on the
PDT-11/150's modem port).   I don't know how happy the mouse really would have
been talking to the PDP-11 over ~100' of cable, but that's part of what would
have made it stupid, and therefore, fun.

John Wilson
D Bit

Hello!
Which is one reason (of about four) that prompted me to raise the
issues concerning the PDT-11/150 on this list not too long ago. I'm
still kicking around some ideas with that particular release of E11
that I tracked down in my collection, but its slow going.

Now the interesting question, for the problem that Jordi is concerning
himself with, what release of VMS (early or later) would have
supported networking that way?

For example the campus network on (where else?) UC Berkeley was
Ethernet all over, and supported VMS on the VAX systems they ran, and
BSD (of course) but they also talked to the odd PC and a number of
Macs. I'm not sure what terminals they used, since Cliff didn't note
that bit of trivia. However to get outside of the campus he had to
mind several lines some were dial-up and a few were leased, and those
got connected to hardware for Tymnet.

I'm just throwing stuff into a very blue sky here.
--------
Incidentally all of today's problems are Dave's fault. Including that
sneaker or shoe lace you broke Corey and the fact that someone's cat
caused an expensive object to break.
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com