[HECnet] More cluster weirdness

Mark Wickens mark at wickensonline.co.uk
Mon Nov 18 22:13:26 PST 2013

On 19/11/2013 05:46, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Hello,

Is it normal for a MicroVAX II to drop out of a cluster and then reboot
when the console is disconnected?

I am using a USB<--->serial adapter...when I unplug it from USB the
machine reboots itself and leaves the cluster.   (This wouldn't be too bad
if the battery that stores its settings hadn't died over a decade ago)

Anyone else have this problem?

Hi Cory

I've seen this behaviour from various VAXen including later 4000 models. I now have everything connected to a DECserver 90M with reverse-LAT so, from the computers point of view, there is always a console cable connected.

I suspect what is happening is that the computer is treating the cable disconnect as a 'break' which then will drop it to the console prompt.

Regards, Mark.