[HECnet] Node data update

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Mon Nov 18 17:28:01 PST 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Johnny Billquist
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 19:51
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Node data update

On 2013-11-17 23:43, Steve Davidson wrote:
Go for it!

In the end though, I would like to see a distribution
list so that
others may take advantage of this.

No problemo. I have a distribution list on MIM for it now.
MIM::US:[BQT]NOTIFY.DIS

Mail uses LEGATO:: as a gateway, so it will not work if
LEGATO is down.

I should clarify that it means mail to destination outside
of HECnet uses LEGATO. Mail to recipients inside HECnet
requires that those specific machines are online (obviously).

Would the CHIMPY::smtp%"foo at bar.com" format work? I use
that for some distribution lists on say HILANT..

Sure. Any address works equally well, actually. As long as
it's a form of address I can use from MIM. It's just that
LEGATO was in my head as a gateway I had used in the past
which worked for delivering mail to the internet.

Then have both LEGATO and CHIMPY as relays, I doubt we'd be
sending out THAT much mail that getting two copies would
bother the recipient too badly..

Up to whomever wants to to tell me what address they want me
to send to.

Of course, I will eventually move to my own SMTP client on
MIM (once I've written it).

                                                                    ||   on a psychedelic trip

The whole point of this exercise was to allow the individual systems to
update (in an automated fashion) their node database when Johnny
publishes an update.   The automation requires that only one such notice
per event be sent (from Johnny's proedure) directly to the HECnet
system.   That is a system with a DECnet node name/address like SGC::.
In this case the only account that has the priv is SGC::SYSTEM.   My
system(s) will run DELIVER and just deal with this operation behind the
scenes.   I will not have to step in at any time so I can just forget
about it.   DELIVER will parse it, and direct it, such that a process
will kick off that will execute NetUpdateV2.COM.   Initially it will be
only SGC:: (SYSTEM).   I will add others directly because I will give the
address to Johnny, or I will have SGC:: (SYSTEM) forward it to the other
systems within my network, or some of both.   The RSX and RSTS systems
will actually execute IND files.   I have not yet figured out how the
ULTRIX systems will handle it.   Let's get VMS systems to work first -
then deal with the others.

-Steve

-Steve