[HECnet] What started the modern VAX drive limit myth?

Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- system at TMESIS.COM
Sat Oct 26 22:17:30 PDT 2013

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

Afternoon all,

What started that myth?   I've managed to get a 146G drive working in a
VAXstation 4000/60 (10,000 RPM, too!).   Unless I did my maths wrong, it's
showing up as 136G as a FILES-11 volume(~700M in SHOW DEVICES at the
tripel chevron prompt)

There also seems to be no 1G boot drive limit on this as my boot drive is
about 4G.

Was this a limit that existed in earlier VAXstations?

VMS, generally, doesn't have any issues unless you're booting the system
with older built-in controllers.   Even then, if you can organize the VMS
files needed for bootstrap, you can probably boot from a larger system
drive too.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG