[HECnet] What started the modern VAX drive limit myth?

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Sat Oct 26 19:15:22 PDT 2013

There we go - found it:

http://labs.hoffmanlabs.com/node/541

But it's on the 3100.   The 4000 seems to be okay.

Ian

On Oct 26, 2013, at 11:05 AM, Ian McLaughlin <ian at platinum.net> wrote:

I seem to recall reading somewhere (but I'm unable to find the reference at the moment) that there was some event that caused a problem.   Something like a system crash or bugcheck, which causes a ROM routine to be called which will dump RAM to disk for later analysis.   The problem is that the ROM routine has a maximum size issue, and it may wrap around and overwrite a lower section of the hard drive.

I really wish I could find the reference, though...

Ian