[HECnet] FDDI advice

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 10 19:37:49 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 02:12 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
There are very few people in the industry HERE who would even know
what "an nmap scan" is, much less how or why to run one.

Oh really? By now I thought even non-security people were using it
for network analysis etc..

  They are.   But we're talking about US defense contractors.   They are
primarily "golf" people.

I worked in that industry twenty years ago.   It was bad then.   In
the past few weeks I've had a lot of contact with it due to a new
contract, and much to my horror, I've found that it has become far,
far worse.

Worse as in more corporate / boring or worse as in the attacks are
just getting out of control?

  Corporate/boring.   But more specifically, nonproductive.   It's all
about keeping the money machine grinding forward.   Actually delivering a
finished product is the worst thing that happens in that world, because
they can no longer bill for it.   The contract administrator (typically
military, sometimes civilian) comes to inspect the "progress", gives a
smile and a wink, drives away in a new BMW, and goes back to his office
to fill out the report that "everything is going fine, but there's been
a minor cost overrun..."