[HECnet] FDDI advice

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Thu Oct 10 19:12:19 PDT 2013

There are very few people in the industry HERE who would even know
what "an nmap scan" is, much less how or why to run one.

Oh really? By now I thought even non-security people were using it for network analysis etc..

Basically for anyone who cares, nmap scan hosts in an IP range, tells you what ports are open and tries to fingerprint the software running the port.

I worked in that industry twenty years ago.   It was bad then.   In the
past few weeks I've had a lot of contact with it due to a new contract,
and much to my horror, I've found that it has become far, far worse.

Worse as in more corporate / boring or worse as in the attacks are just getting out of control?

Sampsa