[HECnet] FDDI advice

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 10 19:07:49 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 02:02 PM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
Don't go looking for a job in that industry...they don't work that
way at all.   It's all about a degree, a certain physical
appearance, short hair, a tie, the ability to kiss ass...getting
actual work done is not in the picture.

I'm fighting with a bunch of those very stuffed shirts right now,
today in fact.   The annoyance is fresh.

Hmm, maybe in the US, but the guys I worked with who had SC and DV
(DV = highest security clearance issued by HM Gov) used to walk
around in shorts and sandals.

  I'm talking about in the US.

One of our favourite hobbies was trying to shoot down a remote
controlled helicopter with an Airsoft AK47 whilst waiting for say an
nmap scan to finish.

But I got bored on penetration testing after a few years, especially
when it all became "Look for holes in this web app", so moved on..

  There are very few people in the industry HERE who would even know
what "an nmap scan" is, much less how or why to run one.

  I worked in that industry twenty years ago.   It was bad then.   In the
past few weeks I've had a lot of contact with it due to a new contract,
and much to my horror, I've found that it has become far, far worse.