[HECnet] FDDI advice

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 10 18:43:33 PDT 2013

On 10/10/2013 01:42 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
On Thu, 10 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/10/2013 01:36 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
While we're on FDDI... I have an FDDI NIC free to a good home.   It's
a DEFPA-DA -- dual attached fiber, PCI (5V 32 bit).   I have no way to
test it, but the person who gave it to me believed it to be
operational.   No drivers or any other software.

First response gets it (email with shipping info direct to me,
please).

FYI, this card is supported by most major OSs.   There are even drivers
for it for MacOS 9.

Now that's just plain weird.   Can OS 9's stacks even handle FE? ;)

Barely.   OpenTransport is, at least, a whole lot better than MacTCP.

Didn't bits of OpenTransport support STREAMS, too?   Or am I thinking of
something else?

  Hmm, I don't know offhand.