[HECnet] FDDI advice

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Thu Oct 10 17:03:33 PDT 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 04:59:09PM +0100, Mark Wickens wrote:
Unfortunately, as nice a box as it is (that counts for most things
with a 68k in ;) FDDI to 10MB doesn't solve any problems for me as
the sole benefit is the jump to 100MB over the standard ethernet
card in the 3000/800, so any solution that is going to work would
need to give me access to 100MB+ at the other end of the FDDI.

A cheap little box running linux/*BSD/etc should be able to bridge
between FDDI and FastEthernet for you nicely.

Sure, it's not as sexy as some "real" gear, but will likely do the
trick.

It'll take far more than a 68K to do it, however. :)

-brian