[HECnet] Stupid question about areas...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Oct 10 10:31:27 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-10 10:19, Mark Wickens wrote:
Even though I think I know the answer to this question, I'll ask it any
way...

Is it OK to run machines that are in the same area on different subnets?
For example, passing traffic between SLAVE:: and RIPLEY:: both on DECnet
area 4 but on different subnets connected via a bridge?

I think it is and that the bridge is transparent, but for some reason in
the back of my mind I have the concept of 'area router' and that doesn't
fit with this model.

The bridge is totally transparent, and makes it look like both sides are on the same ethernet segment.

An area router in between is also perfectly fine. Nodes in the same area can be spread out over any distance. The only requirements is that you got to have level 1 routers on all the hops in between. And area router is a level 2 router, but I have yet to see a level 2 router which do not also do level 1 routing.