[HECnet] EISNER:: ?

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Tue Oct 8 15:17:02 PDT 2013

Essentially, telling getty what kind of equipment is attached. In VMS you would not allow LOGINOUT to handle a port where something like a fax was installed. Instead you'd run the fax program, and have that handle the port. Using getty in this way can be considered either very clever, or very ugly, depending on your preferences and view on how to do things... But essentially, you'll have a getty which can do and understand a lot of different things.

I totally agree, my last modem was a lovely Nokia ECM 19200 that could be programmed from a set of button on the front panel and had a 2 line LCD screen. I set it on auto-answer, DCD/DTR correctly and all AT responses off, and plugged it into CHIMPY.

Worked like a dream until the power supply blew up.

It was 11 years old though..:)

sampsa