[HECnet] EISNER:: ?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 8 15:16:04 PDT 2013

On 10/08/2013 08:44 AM, Sampsa Laine wrote:
I remember you calling into CHIMPY with that 2400 baud Amstrad thing,
good times.

But the Nokia 9210 is actually pretty cool, V.110 is like wireless
ISDN plus if the other side has an analogue modem, the operator has a
modem pool that converts the signal.

Ideal for this use I think (next to zero operating costs, easy
connection, flexible, can't get hit by lightning*)

* Seriously, the place in Hila has taken a few harsh hits during
storms, the electrical system was protected but the telephone wiring
wasn't, high voltage jumps from PSTN to Skype base station to switch
via ethernet, 1000+ euros damage. So we decided to take all the
telephone wiring out and just use Skype. Nobody has noticed any
difference.

  The NSA noticed the difference.