[HECnet] OpenVMS on VAXstation 4000/60

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Thu Oct 3 15:25:28 PDT 2013

On Thu, 3 Oct 2013, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

On Wed, 2 Oct 2013, Dave McGuire wrote:

On 10/02/2013 06:57 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Write it directly.

Backup can do that right?   I don't have to right disk images to disk in
VMS too often. ;)

No.   This is what I've done to write tape images to tapes:

$ INIT/ERASE MUA0: ""
$ MOUNT/FOREIGN/BLOCK=512 MUA0:
$ COPY <filename> MUA0:
$ DISMOUNT/UNLOAD MUA0:

Can anyone (Brian S?) say if this will work with disk as the
destination device as well?   I'd guess yes, but I haven't done it
myself, at least not recently enough that I remember.

                    -Dave

Crap.   My only good disk (the quantum was DEAD++ it seems) is just about
60M too small.   Which is weird as the drive says it's 2G despite on the
casing.

Meaning I can either copy the files off manually to a blank disk...or I
can stick with VMS 6.3 instead of 7.3. ;)

ALl of VMS, even V7.3, fit on a single CD.   That 600MB, give or take, and
should easily fit on a 1GB drive.   So, if yours truly is a 2GB drive, more
is at work here.

7.3 is around 619M when burned to CD.   My 1.05G drive is dead and the 2G drive (really, it's some bizarre size like 2296M...go IBM!) yet only shows up as around 550M.   After checking jumpers there is nothing to indicate size settings and I can read from/write to the drive fine.

The drive that sounds like a bench grinder is just plain nonfunctional. ;)

--
Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net Personal stuff